Thursday, 15 January 2015

1995: Looking Back 20 Years Ago



Can you believe that 20 years ago, it was 1995? I don't know about you, but in my opinion, 1995 was both a good year & bad year, but the good outweighed the bad overall. For reasons of which I will outline below. 

1995 will go down for me as my favourite year: I turned 14 in February, I had a rough time in high school fitting in, and with that, I was mercilessly bullied by some of my classmates and other pupils. I enjoyed my studies and the subjects I was taking, but other than that, I loathed being in high school and wanted to get out of there. So from a personal point of view, it was a dreadful time and thus, I had to move past this and focus on being positive. 

In spite of all this, when I got home, turned on the radio or TV and switched on Cartoon Network, Trouble or Paramount Comedy channel to watch American sitcoms and cartoons, it made me forget about all those internal problems at school. It was the movies, the songs, the shows that made me smile, laugh, have fun. 

1995 will be best remembered by me for the following: (facts from Wikipedia and History Orb



Eurodance




Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio; taken from the motion picture soundtrack of Dangerous Minds starring Michelle Pheiffer




Waterfalls - TLC

Kiss From A Rose - Seal

Shy Guy - Diana King, from Bad Boys movie





Britpop - I was a bit of an emo indie kid back in the days with the whole Britpop thing involving bands Blur, Oasis and Pulp. It was interesting when it happened, but since then, I have grown out of that alternative pop faze and embraced pop altogether. I don't listen to those records these days, more-so it's pop and R&B. 




OJ Simpson is found not guilty of killing his ex - wife and her partner

the WTO (World Trade Organisation) is formed

Richie Edwards of Welsh indie rock band, Manic Street Preachers goes missing. He was later declared 'presumed deceased' in 2008. 

The UN charges Bosnia for acts of genocide and crimes against humanity

Yahoo! the first internet search engine is founded

On an episode of chat show The Jenny Jones Show, a guy named Scott Amedure reveals he has a crush on his heterosexual friend, Jonathan Schmitz - who subsequently kills Scott several days after the show's taping. The episode never aired on US TV and the show was made to pay $25 million in compensation to Amedure's family. 

Jacques Cirac is elected as president of France 




The DVD is announced as the successor to the VHS, videotape 





eBay is founded in the U.S, was then known as 'Auction Web '

The Queen (Elizabeth) advises an early divorce to Lady (Princess) Diana and Prince Charles, which is later finalized in 1996




U.S gymnast Gabby Douglas was born on December 31 in Virginia Beach, Virginia 



Source: People.com 

U.S Swimmer Missy Franklin was born on May 10 in Pasadena, California


Bad Boys - movie starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence

While You Were Sleeping - romantic comedy movie starring Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman

Batman Forever




Clueless - movie starring Alicia Silverstone, which later inspired Iggy Azalea's music video for the 2014 hit single, 'Fancy'. 

Babe - movie about a talking pig and other talking animals

Jumanji, Friday, Se7en, Toy Story, Ghost in The Shell, While You Were Sleeping





Dangerous Minds - I loved this movie. Michelle Pfeiffer was on fine form as Louanne Johnson. Never understood why it got negative reviews from critics. It was hard-hitting, powerful and emotional in places as well. No matter how many times I watch this, I never get bored of it. 





To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar - movie with the late Patrick Swayze, John Leguizamo and Wesley Snipes as drag queens. They could easily pass up as women based on these looks 

Toy Story - became the first ever computer animated feature film released by Disney and Pixar

Heat




Waiting To Exhale




Jack and Sarah - another film I enjoyed watching 


The Thin Blue Line 

Father Ted




Caroline in the City, September 21 - NBC; my personal favourite American sitcom. My review is on this blog. Love the characters, the episodes, the Caroline and Richard coupling. This show has a special place in my heart. 

Due South, the Canadian/US series makes its debut on UK TV

They Think It's All Over

What A Cartoon! and Cartoon Network - back in the days before Cartoon Network turned to crap it had shows like The Flintstones and Johnny Bravo. I miss the old Cartoon Network and Boomerang channel 

The Wayans Bros 

The Parent' hood




In The House, April 10 - NBC; Debbie Allen's return to television was in this African - American sitcom with rapper, LL Cool J. This was the first show I watched with Debbie, and of which I later became a fan. The show wasn't the same after Debbie Allen with Jeff Wood had left the series. As the first 2 seasons were a total hoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...